Monday, June 22, 2009

Why Lie? I Need a Beer

So read the sign of the homeless panhandler I saw on the corner this week. I found his honesty so refreshing I almost stopped and gave him a buck.

Of course, he is being honest with us, but not with himself. He runs to drink from a well that always runs dry. Still, I appreciated his candor.

As I drove by, my thoughts turned to a conversation I had with my five-year-old earlier that day. "Mommy," she begged, "I want to hang out with you."

I was trying to spend some time with the Lord. I looked up from my book and journal, "Sweetie, I'm having my time with Jesus."

I couldn't stand to see her crest-fallen face. So, I tried to explain. Drawing her into my lap, I said, "Honey, Mommy is a sinner."

Her eyes clouded with concern and shock. Mommy? A sinner? "But, why are you a sinner?"

"Well, I was born that way. But it's OK. I have Jesus in my heart, and he is changing me."

Pause.

"I have to fill up with him every day if I want to be joyful."

"But Mommy, I want to hang out with you now." The theology lesson was officially over. I needed to make this simple.

"Well, would you rather hang out with a joyful mommy or a grumpy mommy?"

"A joyful one!"

"Then go play for a while and let me fill up!"

A few days later, I tried this tactic on my ten-year old son. He, too, interrupted my devotions, this time with a plea to play video games.

"You see, son. I am a sinner..."

"Whoa, Mom!" He interrupted. "I already knew that!"

That's the way it goes with kids. You can't hide anything from them.

So, I guess when it comes to surviving as a parent, what I really need to do is hang a sign around my neck that says, "Why lie? I need God!"

Who knows? Maybe one of them will give me a buck!

Gettin' Real!
Melodie

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?