Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sarah Palin, David Letterman, and Jesus

A few nights ago I was up watching late night television and was surprised to hear David Letterman issue a pseudo-apology to Sarah Palin. In case you haven't heard the story, Letterman made a crude joke about Palin's daughter while Palin was visiting NY with her family. After receiving criticism from Palin and others, David issued two apologies. I saw the first, and a day or so later, he issued a second, more sincere retraction.

I've followed this story with a sense of curiosity. There are all kinds of dynamics -- Letterman's reputation, Palin's political career, Palin's responsibility to protect her children, etc. The pundits have had fun with it. Little has been said, however, about the spiritual side of it all. Perhaps I should be grateful about that.

Since Palin is a Christian, I wonder if she had given much thought to how her outrage might affect Letterman's relationship to God. Her reaction has certainly brought attention to the dangers of something the Bible calls coarse joking. I wonder, too, how I might have reacted if the joke had been about my daughter.

I'll leave Palin's heart to Palin, though. And hypotheticals about myself will not reveal much, since I can muse over the answer while on the safety of my living room couch. The Real! issue is, "How do I handle my words in my every day life?"

When the girl in the checkout line has a long chat with the man in line in front of me, how do I react? Especially if I'm running late for something and my kids are begging for every pack of sweets they can get their hands on? I want to be rude to the girl. There's no doubt about that! In fact, what I want to say shouldn't be running through my mind...but it is.

The truth is, as a Christian, I represent Christ while I wait in that line. Whether I want to admit it or not, the way I react may affect the checkout girl's openness to God. Besides, my kids are watching.

Philippians 2:14-16 says, "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life ..."

When people drive me crazy, do I shine or shout?

Every day is a chance to shine like a star in a dark universe. And every day Real! challenges will test the Real! nature of our faith.

Personally, I do OK with the slow person at the register. It's the people I love the most, my husband and kids, that provide the majority of opportunities for me to -- uh -- grow in this area. Do everything without complaining or arguing? Wow, I've got a long way to go on that one.

One thing I have learned, though: I'll never find success by simply making up my mind to do better. Determination is a good thing, but character change comes from relationship not rules.

I can, however, spend quality time with my Lord on a regular basis. Drawing from who he is will change who I am. I can also fill my car with praise music while I drive. I can fill my mind with the word of God on a daily basis. I can discipline myself to take bad attitudes to God quickly in prayer as soon as they arise. These things fill me with the Spirit, who then shines through my attitude to the glory of God.

And it probably wouldn't hurt if I cut back on the late night TV!
Gettin' Real!
Melodie

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Melodie, you handled that issue well. If someone starts to read your post expecting to see a well-scripted blast against Letterman, they will be surprised to find themselves on their knees by the end of it. It's not Letterman and his ilk that challenge me, it is the girl at the checkout. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?