Monday, July 13, 2009

Life is Hard

Preachers, Bible teachers, and Christian writers all share a similar danger: the appearance of more godliness than we possess. Those of us who are called to speak God's truth need to keep this always in the forefront of our minds. It's the light that is holy, not the light-bearer. I hold the torch over my head; it is higher than I.

Of course, that's no excuse to go out and do whatever I want. Teachers, according to the Bible, are to be held to a higher standard of conduct. Even so, my humanity courses through me. I will never escape it. I am in the same process of transformation as any other believer.

So, in the interest of authenticity, let me Get Real! and admit that sometimes my pastor-husband gets on my nerves and I on his (although I can't imagine why). Sometimes I gripe at my kids, and they gripe back at me. (But they start it!) I have to fight not to say critical words about others. I often think too much of myself or too little of myself in Christ. Frequently, I care more about what others think of me than what God is doing in my life. And just yesterday, a driver wouldn't let me into the lane I needed -- so I called him a jerk, under my breath. (After all, isn't everyone else supposed to yield to my personal agenda?)

To top it all off, I've gained two pounds since the school year ended, which explains why I couldn't get into those pants I really wanted to wear the other day. (But that didn't stop me from brownies last night...or this afternoon.)

What's the point? I'm amazed by the God who loves me, even when I'm the one who's being a jerk. He extends grace to me, even when I hesitate to extend it to others. He doesn't excuse my sin, but he does draw me to repentance and cleanse me. His Spirit lives within me, patiently convincting, correcting, and encouraging.

He transforms from the inside out, and I can see the changes. I know how I responded to stress two years ago, and how I respond to it today. I can find my way to peace more quickly than ever before.

Then there's joy...an undefinable bubbling fountain...that is beginning to well up even on tough days. I know I found it more often when I was younger, but adulthood has a way of trying to fill it with mud. I'm learning to find it again, in spite of the muck. And when I plunge in, I find the mud was an illusion all along. The reality is pure, inexplicable, cleansing joy.

My daily joy is a bit wobbly. Daily peace is a little stronger, but I still have to battle my way to it sometimes. The more I exercise these things, they stronger they grow. Funny thing, though, to exercise them, I must identify my weaknesses and God's strengths. In prayer, I declare my neediness and God's sufficiency.

Life is all about God. Connecting with Him is the way to purpose and peace.

Gettin' Real!
Melodie

2 comments:

  1. There is great freedom in the realization that I don't have to perform! I think many times I obsess in the things I should or shouldn't, instead of, the One that deserves all my desires, feelings, and thoughts! Thank God my witness is not dependent on my performance, but on Christ and Christ alone!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?